On October 30, 1938, during artist and filmmaker Orson Welles’ infamous radio broadcast of the “War of the Worlds,” local residents, and a nationwide audience, heard that an alien spacecraft had landed in Grover’s Mill (a farming village in West Windsor), Martians had emerged, and were planning to invade the United States. Although the broadcast was a radio drama based on H.G. Wells’ 1898 novel, “The War of the Worlds,” many people believed it was a factual newscast, which sparked widespread public panic and media outrage. As the town in which the martians landed, we embrace this unique history and celebrate it as a moment of true belief of life from outer space and the power and influence of the arts.
The West Windsor Arts Council (WWAC) is commemorating the 80th anniversary of the War of the Worlds radio broadcast with a day of activites on October 27, 2018. We are starting the celebration at the West Windsor Farmers' Market with a Chalk Art display and contest. The Chalk Art Contest's theme will be "Out of this World."
- The "Out of this World" Chalk Art Contest is open to everyone. All skill levels welcome including children, adults, families, groups, friends, organizations and professional artists.
- We will do our best to provide spaces for everyone who registers. If a space is not available for you, you will be notified and your registration fee will be returned.
- All entries must be original work.
- Chalk Art must be inspired by space exploration, the possibility of life in outerspace, or relate to the “War of the Worlds.”
- We will confirm the overall size of your space before the event.
- Chalk Art should be family-friendly and aesthetically appropriate for display in public places. Some examples of the family-friendly criterion include absence of violence, nudity, bias, and hate.
- Materials, including chalk, must be provided by the artist, organization or group. Please do not use any permanent art materials. Only stick chalk, pastels, or charcoal will be permitted. No sprays of any kind will be allowed.
- This is a rain or shine event. Please plan accordingly and bring any tarps needed if it rains.
- Artists, individuals, organizations and groups will be given a start and end time for the execution of their design.
At least 3 prizes will be awarded in all categories. Prize values total over $1,000! Individual items include:
- Amazon gift cards
- Sahara Sam's Oasis Indoor and Outdoor Water Park gift certificate
- Morven Family Membership
- Philadelphia Museum of Art general admission pass for 4
- Bounce U gift certificate
- Fine Art Kits valued at $140 each
- Craft kits for children valued at approx $20 each
- Best of Show - $300 Amazon Gift Card
- Award of Excellence - two selected each receiving $50 Amazon Gift Card
Youth (age group 5 to 9, 10 to 14, and 15 to 18):
- Best of Show - one in each age group selected, each receiving a gift
- Award of Excellence - 1 in each age group selected, each receiving a gift
Adults (Individuals, not professional artists):
- Best of Show - $100 Amazon Gift Card
- Award of Excellence - two selected each receiving $25 Amazon Gift Card
Organizations and Groups:
- Best of Show - $200 Amazon Gift Card
- Award or Excellence - two selected each receiving $50 Amazon Gift Card
Winning Design Selection Process:
The Chalk Art Contest will be judged by a committee that includes diverse business professionals and artists from the West Windsor area. The artwork will be judged on originality and relation to the theme, and space considerations.
When reviewing chalk designs, some of the important considerations for the judges will be:
- connection to the theme
- artistic merit
- appropriate for family-friendly audience
For questions, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.